Thursday 29 May 2014

Recent crafty makes

Over the last 6 months I have really been getting to grips with some sewing as well as learning crochet.

Bunting and quilting were the first sewing bits that I attempted, but I have to say that I have not been especially vigilant on the quilting - fear (of making a botch job) and lack of time to dedicate to it being the main reasons. Bunting however, has been much easier to accommodate. I love how quick and easy it is, and TOTALLY LOVE the jolly look of bunting hanging up.

So here are some of my finished sewing projects:
Bunting for a friend's boys for Christmas
For a friend for her birthday
Close ups of the extra detail

A little pin cushion to go with my friend's bunting (she runs a little craft business from home, making & selling things for children mostly, so I made these for her craft room)
Bunting for my niece's birthday


I did manage one tiny little doll-sized quilt. I decided to experiment with some English paper-piecing to use up some scraps of pretty fabrics, after being inspired by Helen Philipps' blog. I made this as a birthday present for my niece's 3rd birthday, as she loves her dollies!
Little scraps of pretty fabric wrapped around their square templates ready to be sewn together
Sewn into blocks of 12
Machine quilted diagonally
How the back looked after quilting
The finished, bound doll quilt
Trying to find time to make some more baby burp cloths like the ones I made a few weeks ago here. But as it's a wet half term, I can't really disappear up to the loft to do sewing, even if the boys are happily playing - 2 flights of stairs is rather too much for me to run up and down if they need me! Hopefully i'll find some sewing time next week when they are back at school...

4 comments:

  1. You've made so many lovely things! The buntings are wonderful and that little pin cushion is so sweet. And that dolly's quilt is just wonderful. The fabric pieces you used are so pretty! Lucky doll!!..Have a lovely weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dolls quilt is adorable - love the fabric. And your bunting is so jolly. I'm not sure how you manage to achieve so much with 2 young boys to look after.... and another baby on the way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I manage to sneak the odd hour here and there while the boys are at school (the youngest does 3 days a week at pre-school). I reward myself with craft time after ticking off a list of chores. I'm trying to do as much as I can now before baby arrives, as I doubt I will get a chance to do much sewing once it is here!

      Delete